"Although IndyCOG may be the newest group in this list, they have continued to make a huge impact: creation and distribution of Indy Ride Guides and expansion of bicycle parking. In addition, they've organized bicycle awareness events such as Indianapolis Bike to Work Day, and Two Wheels, One City. With their home base at the Indy Bike Hub YMCA, they are poised to do even greater things in the near future."
- Randy Clark, Founder and Owner, Bicycle Garage Indy & BGI Fitness
IndyCOG seeks to improve the Indianapolis bike community and culture through advocating and educating directly with cyclists and the motoring public, as well as through fostering working partnerships with both local government and community agencies.
Recent initiatives and awareness events include:
- Distribution of 20,000 INDY RIDE GUIDES in 9 months. Version 2.0 comes out after the first of the year (2014). The new version will have new bike lanes and other on and off road facilities.
- Installation of another 8 meter rings downtown with another 50 on the calendar for the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014 (currently have installed 58 meter rings downtown).
- Received two bicycle safety grants from the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute. Our grant for 2013 ~$15,000 and our 2014 grant is for ~$21,000. Materials include Riders in the Know billboards and safety pamphlets available for distribution.
- Working on a stolen bike database that will allow individuals to enter their stolen bike info with a picture. Once entered the info will automatically be included on a list on IndyCOG's website,
- Campaign to extend Monon Greenway hours (ongoing)
- Indianapolis Bike to Work Day (2013)
- League of American Bicyclists Day in Indianapolis (2013) - hosted Happy Hour with LAB President Andy Clarke
Click HERE to join/donate to support local bicycle advocacy efforts in Indianapolis
Click HERE to find out more about IndyCOG